•  
  •  

Acta Cogitata: An Undergraduate Journal in Philosophy

Volume 5 (2018)

Editor's Note: Issue 5

Philosophers are frequently presented the question, what is philosophy? An apparently straightforward question, it ignites a spark of philosophic inquiry into deep and profound matters. I too find myself pondering this question. Philosophy has been characterized, or maybe the more appropriate term would be criticized, as a discipline of armchair thinkers. In other words, philosophy amounts to people sitting around thinking about abstract ideas that have little or no application to the day to day world. Although I enjoy metaphysics as much as anyone else, Acta Cogitata is a testament to philosophy as so much more than this abstract, inapplicable, pie in the sky thinking. The topics presented in this year's journal cover a vast range of topics, including architecture, feminism, literature, and time travel.

Acta Cogitata continues to evolve in new and innovative ways. As the graduate program flourishes at Eastern Michigan University, I imagine the journal will continue to follow suit, reaching new heights of quality, creativity, and insightful inquiry. It is my hope that I have contributed to at least a small portion of the professional advancement of Acta Cogitata, and that the editor who succeeds me will be as optimistic about the direction of the journal as I was during my tenure. I would personally like to thank Dr. John Koolage, the previous faculty editor, for providing the foundation from which this journal has blossomed. This issue would not have been possible without you. Your passion for philosophy is evident and is an inspiration to everyone that spends more than three minutes with you. I would also like to thank Dr. Michael Scoville, the current faculty editor, who has provided essential guidance. The originality of your thinking combined with the clarity of your thought is something that I can only hope to replicate in my own professional career as a philosopher.

Finally, I thank the authors, their institutions, and their mentors, who encouraged them to pursue the love of wisdom. I also commend the authors for taking this step in their philosophic journey. The concepts, ideas, and arguments that are developed in these essays leave me optimistic not only about the future of philosophy as a discipline, but also the philosophy of the future. With the prevalence of ambiguity, hatred, and injustice in our current sociopolitical atmosphere, we need more young minds grappling with these important issues in order to find creative solutions and influence real, positive change.

Ryan Lemasters
Graduate Student Editor